Get the lowdown from the locals
The New Year’s holiday has always been a time of reflection and a chance to begin again. 2018 has been tremendous on so many levels. The sheer bigness of it left a deep indent on life as it was known. Transformative life lessons, thrust upon my world in 2018, have paved the way for a 2019 that already feels different to the unrelenting previous year. Cataloging these tidbits of wisdom somehow lightens the load and helps provide vision to the blessings that befall you in times of great change.
So...the things I’ve learned in 2018:
1) Bread and peanut butter belong in the pantry and not the fridge. In fact, room temp nut butter is 100x better than cold.
2) Add nap time to your calendar. Self-care goes beyond eating right and exercise.
3) There is no badge of honor in being too busy to enjoy life. Take time to do the things you love and say no to the things you don’t. (2019 mantra - just say no)
4) Bone broth really is a magic elixir. Drink it.
5) There is only one efficient way to cut a pomegranate (refer to YouTube)
6) Keep expectations in check. Great things occur when you least expect it. PS you’ll never be disappointed when they don’t.
7) Always bet on yourself and take opportunities as they come because they may never come again. Never underestimate the power of your own resolve.
8) Walking outside (with your dog if you have one) and with good music in your ear, is just as good as an hour of therapy...and it’s free! Naps and bike rides are therapeutic as well.
9) Bread isn’t as evil as hating yourself for eating it. Enjoy whatever you do, even if it’s against the “rules” you’ve imposed on yourself.
10) Act in a way that makes you proud to be who you are, no matter the consequences. You really are all you’ve got.
11) Bananas are good for you! Any diet that prohibits them needs to be questioned. Sometimes you just need some starchy carbs.
12) Apparently bread and naps have taught me a lot of life lessons this year. Look for lessons in the things you deem trivial.
Happy New Year!!!
Kristin is a music-loving, experience-seeking, down-home girl from the suburbs of New York City. Although Idaho seems like the least likely place you would find such a character, McCall's small town vibe and tight community drew her in, and she's been calling it home since 2006. A lover of the outdoors and local happenings of all kinds, Kristin spends time seeking adventure in the mountains of McCall, as well as connections with the eclectic citizenry that comprises this quaint little village. Among the many hats she wears: writer, business-owner, yoga teacher, event planner, fitness enthusiast, music appreciator, and friend to all - her favorites are mother and wife.